San Bernardino Shooting: Two Suspects Dead, Third Reportedly Detained 4:29
At least 14 people were killed and two suspects were dead Wednesday after two people on a mission that authorities described as “possibly terrorism” barged into a holiday party in a California conference room and unleashed a bloodbath.
The shooters fled in a black SUV after the rampage at about 11 a.m. (2 p.m. ET) inside the Inland Regional Center, a state-run center for people with developmental disabilities in San Bernardino, about 55 miles east of downtown Los Angeles, police said.
Seventeen other people were wounded, they said. Authorities said that no motive had been determined and that terrorism had not been ruled out.
Photos: Deadly Mass Shooting in San Bernardino, California
The shooting erupted during a holiday party in a conference room. Fourteen people were killed.
At least 10 of the 17 wounded are in critical condition.
Police shot two suspects after a high-speed chase in a shootout hours later. They were identified as a man Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, and a woman, Tashfeen Malik, 27.
The suspects were killed.
A third person seen fleeing from the scene of the shootout is in custody.
A police officer was wounded in the shootout.
Police said “explosive devices” were found inside the resource center during a secondary sweep and that they were rendered safe.
Marybeth Feild, president of the center’s board of trustees, said the gunfire erupted in a conference room where the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health was holding a banquet.
About 4½ hours after the shootings, police checking a lead in the nearby town of Redlands began chasing a car believed to be related to the incident, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said. The chase led back to San Bernardino, where two people described as suspects — a man and a woman — were killed, he said.
Sounds of Police Shootout Captured by Neighbor 1:30
They were identified as Syed Rizwan Farook, 28, a U.S.-born environmental specialist for San Bernardino County, and Tashfeen Malik, 27, about whom little was known.
A third person who was seen running away from the shootout scene was in custody, Burguan said. Investigators weren’t able to begin searching the vehicle until Wednesday night, after they had rendered explosives at that scene safe, he said.
He said an officer was shot in the confrontation but didn’t suffer a life-threatening wound and was expected to be OK.
Burguan said Farook and Malik were related in some fashion, possibly as husband and wife or as an engaged couple. A person named Syed Farook is listed in public records as a resident of the Redlands address from which police tracked the SUV involved in the shootout.
Burguan said the suspects were armed with assault-style rifles and semiautomatic handguns. Sources close to the investigation told NBC News that the ATF had traced four firearms and that two of them were known to have been purchased legally by an individual connected to the investigation. Information on the two other firearms wasn’t available.
Authorities respondto a mass shooting in San Bernardino, California, where there were as many as 20 victims. NBC Los Angeles
Meredith Davis, a spokeswoman for the Los Angeles division of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said the suspects “had several [magazines] full of ammunition fashioned to their body, so they were ready for a gunfight should that occur.”
Farhan Khan, who said he is a brother-in-law of Farook’s, said at a news conference Wednesday night that he was “shocked.”
“I spoke to him a week ago,” Khan said at a gathering organized by the Los Angeles chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations. “I have no idea. Why would he do something like this?”
David Bowdich, the FBI’s assistant director in Los Angeles, said the incident was being regarded as “possibly terrorism.” Burguan reiterated Wednesday night that terrorism hadn’t been ruled out.
‘These people came prepared’
Authorities said 10 of the 17 injured were taken to hospitals in critical condition. Fire Chief Tom Hannemann said three people were in serious condition.
It appeared to be the worst mass shooting since the December 2012 slaughter of 20 first-graders and six staffers at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut.
“These people came prepared to do what they did as if they were on a mission,” Burguan said. “They were armed with long guns, not with handguns.”